My Pre-Ride Cycling Checklist
Tomorrows the big day, the Dairyland Dare 200 km ride has finally arrived. I’ve trained for the hills, tweaked my bike, and eased off the workouts this week to leave something in my legs for tomorrow. The last thing I want to have happen now is to forget something important for the event, like say a helmet or a tire pump.
Yes, I might be able to buy little things onsite but without certain gear I’m not participating. Here’s the checklist I’ve been running through leading up to today.
- Spare Tube(s) — 1 for shorter rides and 2 for longer.
- Pumps — both floor and hand
- Hydration Mix — either Skratch, HEED, Gatorade, etc … pick your poison
- Bloks & Gu’s — simple carbs good for quick fuel
- Bars — complex carbs good for longer range fuel
- Food — for the morning of, don’t trust you’ll find some
- H2O — in case theirs isn’t tasty
- Water Bottles
- Riding Bibs & Shirt
- Jacket or Arm Sleeves
- Rain Jacket
- Sunglasses & Extra Lenses — I have sunny and cloudy lenses
- Suntan Lotion
- Gloves — warm and cold gloves in case
- Bike computer
- Heart Rate Strap
- Thin Hat — to wear under helmet if it’s cold
- Bike Shoes
- Bike Tools
- Chamois Cream
- Registration Confirmation
- Emergency ID — my wife got me a RoadID last Christmas
I know it seems like a lot to bring but I try to plan for any situation and then based on the weather at the event pair down as needed. You can never be to prepared!